Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Day 3...

made it official, I am, by far, the dorkiest student on campus.  


First of all, I never wear or carry one item that says UGG, North Face, or Hurley.  So unlike most college girls, I will never be trendy enough to wear UGG boots, while sporting a North Face jacket, and carrying a Hurley backpack.  


I, on the other hand wear granny panties, while sporting stretch marks (that come from carrying two fat babies), and carry around half of a college girl worth of extra weight. And yet all of these things are not what makes me the dorkiest student at UWP... 

this does.  Yep, I use a thermos.  I don't really carry it, I keep it in my vehicle so that in between classes I can have a lovely cup of (luke warm) coffee.  I think the part that really dorks it up a notch is,  the fact, that my thermos is not North Face or some other trendy cold weather type brand...it is Goulds Pumps.  

I mean, I am a plumber's wife who went to prom with Mike Gould so I thought it was fitting...but mostly sad.

The  cool thing about being the biggest dork on campus when you are 32 years old is that...you don't give a shit...not even a little.     I wonder if the women that got laid off from Advance Transformer, that went to SWTC when I did, felt this way? Did they not give a single crap about how they looked or what they wore. Were they saddened when they heard stuff like this:

Yesterday, when a girl said that Asian Americans Studies Department should "get the F over" being confused with the Asian Studies Department, because "I mean we don't have American Studies classes." 

I bet they were saddened. I bet these adults heard things that kids said, myself included, and thought "WOW, you just wait until you spend like 5 minutes in the real world."

This girl's comments provoked a few thoughts in me...

1. There is a big difference between studying Asia...the largest continent on the planet, and studying American citizens who have Asian descent. 

2. The fact that her high school didn't give her the tools to understand the difference, without the help of an "old lady" sitting next to her in class, is pathetic.

3.  We don't have American Studies?????!?!?  Everything you were ever taught is American Studies, spun just enough that you thought you received an unbiased, accurate account of what really happened in our country.  

4. Life experience has been good for me.  I can totally picture myself saying something that stupid years ago, but then I got a life, and a job and met real people with real problems.....

People that don't consider Uggs, North Face and Hurley important.  People that understand that a college education is important for knowledge, but that life experience is important for wisdom.  


Julie

P.S.  I know that not all college kids think like this person, value things more than people, or weigh 80 pounds.......some of them weigh at least 100. 

No comments:

Post a Comment